Cultura’s Financial Counselling is a free and confidential service that provides information and support to people experiencing financial difficulties.
Our financial counsellors are fully qualified and practice with knowledge of consumer law and relevant legislation to assist you in times of financial hardship.
It is important to recognise that financial counsellors are not lawyers.
What can financial counsellors do for you?
- Provide you with knowledge to help you make decisions about your financial situation.
- Provide an independent assessment of your financial situation.
- Help you prioritise your bills and debts.
- Provide information on laws about your payment obligations.
- Advise on your rights in relation to what creditors can and can’t do in relation to your debts and assets, including property.
- Provide information about bankruptcy or alternative options.
- Assist you in negotiating with creditors and make payment plans.
- Suggest options to deal with your debts.
- Provide referrals to other specialist services.
What can I expect?
When you contact us, an intake worker will assess your needs over the phone. We will need to ask some questions to help us understand your situation. You will be treated with respect and compassion, and without judgement.
At your appointment you will receive information on options specific to your circumstances, including advice on potential outcomes from a qualified financial counsellor.
What financial counsellors don’t do
Our financial counsellors won’t:
- take over your finances
- judge you on how you manage your money
- offer investment advice
- do tax returns
- pay your bills
- do personal budgets
- consolidate debts
- provide emergency relief or material aid.
What should I bring to an appointment?
To help us understand your financial situation, please bring any of the following items with you to your appointment:
- outstanding bills
- demand letters
- court orders
- payslips/Centrelink income statement
- rent/mortgage details
- bank statements
- credit card statements
Financial Counselling services are independently funded by the Victorian State Government and the Australian Government.
Financial Counselling information and referral brochures
Get in touch
For further information or to book a free and confidential face-to-face appointment, please phone us on 1800512341 or make an enquiry by using our ‘get in touch’ form.